The purpose of the Bird Club is to promote interest in the study of wild birds; protect birds and their habitat; and share the joy of birding with others. To these ends, we sponsor these events throughout the year:
- Our monthly newsletter, The Flyer, is published nine times per year.
- Monthly programs on 3rd Wednesday nights every month except June, July and December. Our meetings are usually in Andrews Hall, Room 101, on the campus of William & Mary at 7:00. We feature local and visiting experts who share their travels, research, and expertise with the members. Refreshments follow each meeting. Be sure to display your parking pass to park on campus near PBK Hall.
- Monthly field trips to “birdy” spots around Tidewater usually the 3rd Saturday morning of most months except July and December.
- Twice-a-month bird walks: The 2nd Saturday bird walk is held at various parks around the area. The 4th Saturday bird walk is held at at New Quarter Park near Queens Lake in York County. The walks begin at 8:00 and are usually two hours, but people can leave whenever they want. They are free and open to the public.
- Audubon Christmas Bird Count in late December each year.
- Spring Bird Count in May of each year.
- Donation of 10 – 12 books about birding to the Williamsburg Regional Library each year.
- Speakers Bureau of birders to speak to local community groups. Contact us.
- Scholarships to local youth to attend Nature Camp in Vesuvius, VA during the summer.
- Scholarships to William & Mary ornithology graduate students to assist their research into bird behavior, populations, and habitat.
2017 Executive Board
President — Cheryl Jacobson
Vice President-Programs — Judy Jones
Vice President-Editor of The Flyer —Melinda Cousins
Secretary — Cathy Millar
Treasurer — Ann Carpenter
Members-at-Large — Gary Carpentar and Shirley Devan
Past President – Bill Williams
Field Trips – Geoff Giles and Nancy Pledger
Membership – Jeanette Navia
Bird Counts/Bird Walks – Jim Corliss
Records – Bill Williams
Library Liaison – Lee Schuster
Historian – Tom McCary
Refreshments – Barbara Neiss
Liaison to CVWO – Nancy Barnhart
WBC Constitution and Bylaws 1981
Click to send email
Williamsburg Bird Club
P.O. Box 1085
Williamsburg, VA 23187
Webmistress: Jeanette Navia
Header photos by Judy Jones (birders on beach) and Jeanette Navia (Red-headed Woodpecker)