Come celebrate our 40th anniversary this September! The Williamsburg Bird Club is forty years old. Dr. Mitchell Byrd will be speaking on Wednesday evening, September 20, 2017, at 7 p.m., as the Williamsburg Bird Club celebrates its 40th anniversary. The meeting location has been moved to the Williamsburg Library at 515 Scotland St., Williamsburg, Virginia to assure ample space for all guests. This meeting is free and open to the public.
Many of you know or have heard of Dr. Byrd as he is Chancellor Professor of Biology Emeritus at William and Mary and Director Emeritus of the Center for Conservation Biology. He has received numerous honors and awards for his work with birds and conservation issues. Dr. Byrd will talk about some of the changes in our avifauna that he has noted during his 70 years of working in the field, some of the projects and conservation issues he has been involved with, and what he sees for the future of birds.
Picnic! Bird Club members and their families are invited to a picnic on September 30th at New Quarter Park. There will be a bird walk from 8-10, activities for kids from 10-11:30, lunch at 11:30. (Not open to the public; club members and families only).
The purpose of the Bird Club is to promote interest in the study of wild birds; protect birds and their habitat; and share the joy of birding with others. To these ends, we sponsor these events throughout the year:
- Our monthly newsletter, The Flyer, is published nine times per year.
- Monthly programs on 3rd Wednesday nights every month except June, July and December. Our meetings are usually in Andrews Hall, Room 101, on the campus of William & Mary at 7:30. We feature local and visiting experts who share their travels, research, and expertise with the members. Refreshments follow each meeting.
- Monthly field trips to “birdy” spots around Tidewater usually the 3rd Saturday morning of most months except July and December.
- Twice-a-month bird walks at New Quarter Park near Queens Lake in York County. The 2nd Saturday bird walk begins at 8:00 a.m. at the Park Office. The 4th Saturday bird walk begins at 7:00 a.m.
- Audubon Christmas Bird Count in late December each year.
- Spring Bird Count in May of each year.
- Donation of 10 – 12 books about birding to the Williamsburg Regional Library each year.
- Speakers Bureau of birders to speak to local community groups. Contact us.
- Scholarships to local youth to attend Nature Camp in Vesuvius, VA during the summer.
- Scholarships to William & Mary ornithology graduate students to assist their research into bird behavior, populations, and habitat.
Header photos by Shirley Devan (birders), Inge Curtis (Prothonotary Warbler adult and juvenile), and Jeanette Navia (Red-headed Woodpecker)